In RIKEN Nishina Center for Accelerator-Based Science, the analysis program is called AnaPAW, which is Ana + PAW. PAW is an old analysis program developed by CERN, and no longer supported. It is going to be replaced by ROOT.
PAW is based on Fortran 77. Ana is a package for reading the speciallized data format (.ridf) in RIKEN.
some terminology for AnaPAW:
- analyzer : a program for analyzing the raw data. some analyzers will be shared by difference detectors of same type. i.e. if there are many plastic scintillators, they may use a same program for processing the raw data.
- analyzer ID : which is the number for each analyzer, also called analyzer flag
- ID : this usually referring which “detectors” you want to get in an analyzer.
- W# : what kind of data you want.
- enc*.f : analyzer code file
- *.fh : common value file
- *.ana : ana code file. this file specific which analyzers will be called, and want histogram will be filled
the flow of AnaPAW is:
- call a data file ready to read. But NOT read yet.
- using an “ana code” file (.ana), calling “analyzers” ( analyzing program ), and specific which data will be plotted.
- the AnaPaw will read the data file according to the ana code file specification.
- fill histograms according to ana code file
- loop the data file to next data block
- select which histogram to plot.
one difficulty of using anapaw is that, the relationship of analyzers are hidden in the code. Some analyzers are independent, but most of them are dependent. This dependence is due to the calling of other analyzer value (common value). in order to get the common value, other analyzer must be run in advance. thus, to use an analyzer, we have to check the enc*.f file to see which analyzer is needed.
another difficulty is that, to know how to use the analyzer, we have to read the code file and most of them have comment on the top.
i always suggest they use include the analyzer dependency in the comment. However, since the dependency can be multiple levels. i.e. A depends on B, B depends on C, and so on. thus, that make anapaw is very scary for beginner.